Friday, June 24, 2011

Oh, Smart Phone

Oh, smart phone how you have changed my life! My HTC Evo was a gift from my husband this past Christmas and boy did I have no clue what I was getting myself into. My previous experience with a cell phone was simple. I received phone calls, sent a very limited number of text message and occasionally I would splurge the $.99 for a ring tone. Never could I have imaged all the wonderful things my current phone can do. Send and receive email, check out whats going on around the world, update my face book status. I literally had my a mini computer with me at all times. Not to mention the number of educational applications are endless, which as an educator and a parent I was very excited. Everything from early phonics for preschooler, which my daughter loves, to an AP physics app that will quiz you over common terminology you can even learn a whole new language through the use of an app. Now the question is how do we incorporate the use of these educational apps into our classroom. I think first you must consider the limitations. Not everyone has a smart phone or even access to a smart phone. The cost is a huge factor to consider, the actually phone, data plans and at times the cost of an app. While researching through my marketplace I found educational apps that cost up to $14.99. While for one person that may not seem like much but if you were to ask that of an entire class you are potentially looking at a great deal of money. Another limitations may be the size of most smart phones. Most are no bigger than calculator, which may be difficult if a lot of reading is involved or math equations. Once you are able to look past the limitations that come along I believe you would be able to incorporate a few apps into a classroom. One of the apps I looked at “Mental Maths” works solely on improving students mental calculations. This could easily be downloaded onto a smart phone and if a students finishes up with his or her work they could access this app for practice similar to flashcards. It is not necessary teaching a new skill but simply improving the speed at which students can compute math facts as well as maintaining previously learned material. This app is $.99 to purchase and covers, addition, subtraction, multiplications as well as division. Another great app is “Play + Learn” is great for student 8 years old and younger. This app covers material up to 3rd grade in math, reading, grammar, spelling, and logic. The great thing about this app is that it is designed more like a game. The students in my classroom would love something like this. I could see using this app as a reward for good behavior, because the students feel like they are playing a game but its educational and would reinforce skills. “Bee Audiobooks Reader” would be a great app to have for some of my students with lower reading abilities. This app has the capable to turn text into audio. Those students that are below reading level but are able to comprehend when the text is read to them would be able to do it on their on. By simply selecting the text and having the app decipher and read back what it says. Although smart phones are not currently the “it” thing to use in education with the advancements of applications and the availability of phones and plans changing and growing I believe it wont be long before we begin to see them used more frequently in the educational world.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't even think of the cost per app per phone if used in the classroom. You are right, that can get very expensive. I wonder if some schools who use smart phones or tablets for educational use have that worked into their TCO? Play + Learn sounds really cool, I am going to look that one up. I am also enjoying learning about all the features smart phones can do. It is amazing really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It is funny how as teachers we all pretty much have the same ideas when it comes to limitaitons for the classroom. I liked the different apps you shared. I had seen the Mental Math but the Bee Audiobooks Reader, sounds like a great app as well. I also agree with you that it will not be long before we see more portable devices in the classroom or educaitonal fields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a great point on the cost factor and that not every student has the access to mobile technology. In the case of our didtrict I was amazed at the number of students without web access at home. That alone will limit a lot technology advances we dream to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great points about the Bee Audiobook reader. Literacy is so important in our society and any app that helps people learn how to read to their potential is a plus. Also, you said how not everyone has a smartphone... Unless the technology can be provided to the students by the district, there will be a hard time implementing any type of change to classroom technology. Maybe, just maybe, in the future, there will be a huge amount of economic growth and education could be fully funded??

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a point in the cost. BUT, let's just say there's a grant and you can purchase a tablet, the 7" Samsung that runs Android, or an iPod or even first generation iPad, you'd have the knowledge of these apps that you can load onto these new gadgets :)

    ReplyDelete